Monday, August 06, 2012

An Introduction

Three cheers for the one thing we all need: yet another blog focused on social and political issues!

Yes, you need this. We all need this.

It's not because politics or social issues are some be all, end all for our lives. If that were the case, I'd probably be curled up in the fetal position in a corner somewhere, crying that life is trying to destroy my sanity. It still is, but I'm allowing it to happen by choice.

While I may find politics and social issues to be mind-numbingly complex and irritating, they are also important. How these are shaped today will affect our tomorrow. The parties and people in power influence our lives, as do the values we hold and embrace as a society. In our age, as in ages past, there is a great debate: which path will allow our country to continue to thrive and grow? What path will better us as a society? What path will preserve the “American Dream?”

However, unlike generations past, this question is far more pressing and immediate than it ever has been. Today, the United States of America stands on the precipice of two diametrically opposed worldviews, each of which seek a dramatically different path for the country than we have today.

The question is, which of those paths do I, your fresh-faced, naïve blogger, unexposed to the dangers and horrors of the world, follow?

I am unabashedly conservative and a Christian, a fact which I'm sure shocks and continues to shock many of my friends. After all, as the old saying goes, “If you aren't liberal at twenty, you don't have a heart. If you aren't conservative at forty, you don't have a brain.” Or something to that effect. It's not like I care; I think it's a bunch of poppycock, anyway. If being liberal at twenty means I'm brainless, then I take that as a sign that I'm wasting my time. At the very least, I know that being conservative at twenty has not made me heartless.

Having now piqued your interest (or driven you away in a rage, either/or), the question is, what will this, my little corner of the internet, be about?

My intention is to be conservative and a Christian, simply for the purpose of presenting that perspective to people. I will post thoughts on the world as it flies by us, watching the news cycle as it delivers information to us (at a volume far greater than we mere mortals can cope with) and comment on it. I will post about the big concepts and ideas that drive the ideologies that I believe in, for I most certainly know and understand what it means to discuss such ideals with people who hold incorrect, condescending, and even slanderous preconceptions about conservatism and Biblical beliefs. I will point you, my (hopefully) readers to the thoughts and musings of other conservatives, more famous and articulate, than me, as a way to show that conservatism isn't for knuckle-dragging neanderthals, but, just as liberal and progressivism, is a complex set of ideals that deserves just as much respect in the public discourse.

Ultimately, whether you stay or go is up to you. I can not force you to take action either way. What I do ask is that you stick around, just for a little while, and see what you think. I care not whether you agree or disagree with me; as long you're respectful (more or less, we all say mean and/or stupid things when angry), your thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Now that my little intro is done, what say we get this show on the road?

No comments:

Post a Comment