Friday, August 10, 2012

Conservative Musings: Judge Napolitano

Something I wish to do with this page is point readers to other conservative and like-minded thinkers, men and women who have been at this longer than me and are, thus, wiser and more knowledgeable than I am. Something many liberals and left-leaning independents do not seem to be aware of is that conservatives are in fact thinking people and those ignorant of this fact are often content to believe the caricature that we're intellectually lazy.

Fortunately, that's something easily disproven.

Ironically, my inaugural post of this nature is not showcasing a conservative writer, but a libertarian one. I once heard libertarians described as social liberals with a streak of fiscal conservatism, or something to that effect. My observations generally find this to be true. Normally, listening to libertarians, I find I agree with them wholeheartedly on certain issues and find them hilariously naïve with their reasoning regarding others. However, if there is one libertarian I trust in his understanding of liberty and freedom, it is Judge Andrew Napolitano.

Judge Napolitano is a former supreme court justice of New Jersey and currently works at Fox News Channel as a judicial analyst and hosts his own program on Fox Business Network, “Freedom Watch.” Due to being a former judge, Napolitano has a firm grasp on the constitution and its wording, using that knowledge to keep a close eye on the political scene, particularly the onerous decision and policy-making of the current presidential administration.

In his column this week, the Judge (as I will endearingly call him from this point forward) addresses a concern he has repeatedly brought up in recent years, including those of the Bush administration, of the secrets kept from us, the citizens of the United States, by our government.

Interestingly, what strikes me more than the main story of the article is just how far we've gone from the intentions of the constitution. We forget that the government works for us, not the other way around. And until we realize this reality, the government will continue on its path to greater power, one step at a time.

So that I don't spoil more of the article, click here and see what the Judge has to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment