Wednesday, August 29, 2012

On Real Racism

Something my (many) liberal friends tend to ask me is, “Wait, you're black and you're a Republican?” I suppose when you grow up in the liberal bubble, that would be odd. However, it's also a question that is also borne out of ignorance and one I find rather offensive. Of course, not nearly as offensive as what I read last night.

 
 You see, last night, a mayor and congressional candidate from Utah gave a short speech at the Republican National Convention. Her name is Mia Love, a black conservative, whose articulate delivery of conservative ideals leads many to see her as a possible rising star within the party. The left, of course, the side that always wants to see black people and other minorities succeed in this country, embraced the idea of a conservative black woman with—




Or better yet, let's look at this screenshot of vandalism of her Wikipedia entry:



Yeah, I'm feeling the love.  (Note: the changes have since been removed).

I find that Wikipedia edit particularly infuriating, not because of its “house nigger” crack, but because of the words “she is a total sell-out.”

A “sell-out?”

A “traitor?”

This is why people use slavery analogies when referring to the black vote and the Democratic party. When we “stray” from the Democratic plantation, we aren't just seen as independent thinkers. We are seen as traitors, like the Democrats are owed something by black people. As though Democrats have somehow earned our vote.

I don't owe the Democrats my vote.

If anything, they are owed my eternal ire and hatred for being the party of slavery and Jim Crow.

Besides, I'd much rather be on the side of someone as articulate and passionate as this.

Look at that clip and answer me this: Does that look like a “house nigger” to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment