Tuesday, August 28, 2012

On My Beliefs

Something I feel I should clear up before I get into the weeds of certain issues (particularly the less palatable, moral ones) is just what governs my beliefs. After all, I didn't become a conservative because I come from a family of them or because it was “inevitable.” On the contrary, about ten years ago, as I was entering my teenage years, I was becoming increasingly liberal. At the very least, I was on track to become “moderate.” Then something happened which arrested that development.

My family had always been christian, but more in the sense that we believed God existed, but never gave Him much thought. However, as we entered a period of hardship, my parents turned to Jesus and brought me along for the ride. From that point forward, I was evangelical and went the opposite direction of most of my friends and became increasingly conservative.

“Wait a minute,” you might ask, “So that means your one of those “Jesus freak” types who actually believes all that stuff about the cross and blood and whatever?”

That wasn't a terribly flattering way to phrase it, but yes. I don't think you can really call yourself Christian if you don't believe that, considering it is central to the faith. Without it, we're just blasphemous Jews.

“And you believe that the rest of Bible is the literal truth and God's Word and that all those people and stories actually happened?”

Of course.

“And that all those miracles and speaking in tongues are actually real and happen today?”

Definitely.

“And that sex before marriage and abortion and all those other issues are wrong and immoral?”

Yup.

“And that—”

Okay, okay, I'll stop. I think I got the point across. It's just a fair warning so I don't surprise any readers with just how conservative I am. I'll let you guess what else I believe as my postings slowly clarify my beliefs.



No comments:

Post a Comment